I really love baking and making sweets for my friends. Although I don’t have a sweet tooth myself, when I bake for other people, the sweeter the better! When I was in high school, I always made fudge around Christmastime for friends. It was easy and impressive. In high school, I always made fudge using three simple ingredients: chocolate chips, condensed milk, and butter. While it was delicious, it always tasted a little bit lacking. It tasted chocolatey, but it wasn’t moist and fudgy enough. Today, I use another simple recipe, but with the addition of marshmallows, it makes the fudge oh-so-fudgy and delicious!
I know Christmas has come and gone, but with every grocery store putting candy canes on clearance, I can’t help myself from making more pepperminty confections!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 15 minutes (+2-3 hours for setting)
– 5 oz evaporated milk
– 1 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 tbs butter
– 2 cups mini marshmallows
– 12 oz chocolate chips
– 1/4 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
– 4 candy canes, crushed
1. Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium sauce pan, combine evaporated milk, sugar, and butter over medium heat.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is bubbling, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes, making sure the mixture doesn’t boil over. Remove from heat after 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips to the mixture, and stir until the marshmallows and chocolate chips are melted. If you want to add the peppermint extract for a minty fudge, add it when the mixture is completely homogenous and stir.
6. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and smooth out the top. At this time, lightly press the crushed candy cane onto the mixture.
7. Refrigerate to set.
*Tip for Cutting: Run your knife under hot water for an extra-clean cut. Be sure to wipe the blade between each cut.