To kick off clean eating in spring and summer, my husband and I have embarked on a low-carb diet for the month of March. To be honest, the only reason I signed up for this is that low carb still meant I can have dairy. We’re about halfway through the month, and the one thing I miss the most is pizza. Since we usually do some kind of housework over the weekend, we usually order pizza on Saturday night when we’re too tired from all the manual labor and too lazy to cook.
Enter – cauliflower pizza. In the past, I have made cauliflower pizzas, and they were …. meh. It wasn’t that we didn’t like the taste or the texture, but rather it was a lot of work for something that wasn’t that great. In most cauliflower pizza recipes, it requires steaming the cauliflower and squeezing cauliflower juices. It’s a lot of work!
I needed a shortcut – something that will give me the maximum amount of cauliflower pizza goodness, without the effort.
- 1 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp seasoning*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Alfredo sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it resembles coarse crumbs. In a large skillet (no oil added), cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes, until cauliflower is somewhat dry and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat, quickly stir in parmesan cheese, seasoning, and egg. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, spread out the cauliflower “dough” and flatten with a spatula to the desired shape.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- For the seasoning, you can use any blend you like. You can stick with plain salt & pepper, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, steak seasoning, etc. This is where you can get creative. The crust will take on whatever flavor you pick. I personally used the 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe’s.
- For extra crispy edges and bubbly, golden cheese, after you put on the sauce, cheese, and toppings, return to the oven but broil for 5 minutes.