For many people, Memorial Day Weekend kicks off the beginning of summer. This means pies, pies, and pies. I love pies, but sometimes, you just want pie in belly fast. Or maybe you want something cute to serve but aren’t so sure about your edge crimping skills. Or my favorite, you are in the camp of people who think the pie filling to crust ratio should be like 2:1 instead of 4:1. This is where galette shines.
If you don’t know what a galette is, it’s essentially a free-form pie that you bake on a regular cookie sheet. You roll out the dough, put the filling in the middle, and fold the edge of the crust in so the filling is still visible in the center. Because we don’t bake this in a pie tin, we opt for fillings that aren’t going to release a ton of juices, since this galette will be quite short in height.
I included my favorite galette dough recipe, but feel free to use store-bought pie crust or any other pie crust recipe that you enjoy.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 6 Tb cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup iced water
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered
- 3 Tb granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juice reserved
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tb water
- Make the galette dough: In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, granulated sugar, and butter. Slowly drizzle in iced water 1 Tb at a time and pulse together until dough slightly comes together. Check frequently by pinching together the dough. If it sticks and doesn’t crumble, it is ready. Pour the dough mixture on a floured work surface and knead until it comes together in a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap it tightly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling: While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a large bowl, toss together the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest, and 1 Tb of the lemon juice. Let this mixture stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out the galette dough into a large circle (about 15 inches in diameter). Transfer this dough to a lined baking sheet. Use a slotted spoon, scoop strawberry filling onto the center of the galette dough. Do your best to avoid transferring the strawberry juices. Fold in the edges towards the center, leaving the middle exposed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and water. Brush this all over the dough. Bake in preheated oven for about 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.