As I talk about it quite often, one of my all time favorite things to eat is gnocchi. Those soft, pillowy goodness are such an amazing dish to make. Easy, fast, and delicious! What more could you ask for? I’ve been experimenting with different recipes on making gnocchi from scratch. There is the more complex way which I’m sure all Italian grandmothers are ninjas at. There is also the “cheater” route, in which we use instant potatoes. I can have fresh gnocchi from scratch to table in less than 30 minutes. I would not disregard the store-bought packaged gnocchi, as they are so convenient and yummy. But this recipe will definitely be for when I’m feeling a bit more fancy and want to put in a little elbow grease in cooking. Hope you enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
– 1 cup instant potatoes
– 1 cup boiling water
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp black pepper
– 1/2 tsp basil
– 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
– 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1. Boil 2 quarts water in a large pot. In a medium bowl, mix the instant potatoes and water until well blended.
2. Mix in egg, salt, pepper, basil, and italian seasoning. Lastly stir in the flour.
3. Turn the dough out on a well-floured working surface. Knead the dough until well incorporated.
4. Divide the dough into 4 rounds. Roll each part into a thin tube (~1 inch in thickness). Cut the dough into small bite-size pieces.
5. Place gnocchi in the boiling water. When the gnocchi rise to the top, it is ready. Using a slotted spoon, spoon out the cooked gnocchi. Serve with your favorite sauce.