This is my all-time favorite holiday cookie! I’m usually not the biggest cookie fan, but with these, I can eat it by the handful. What I love about these chocolate chunk peppermint cookies is that it is so easy to make. You can make the dough ahead of time and bake when ready. Or you can bake and freeze and let it come to room temperature when serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
Yield: 40-50 cookies
– 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semisweet or bittersweet)
– 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp peppermint extract
– 2 eggs
– 3/4 cup chocolate chips
– Peppermint candies or candy canes, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a double-boiler or microwave until melted and smooth.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and eggs and beat until no lumps remain. Beat in melted chocolate until well-mixed. Mix in dry ingredients and beat until everything is well-incorporated. Using a spatula, stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
4. Using your hands, form balls out of the dough (about 1 tb size) and place them on the cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
5. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until you see the tops begin to crack. Let cookies cool completely.
6. Topping: Melt the 3/4 cup chocolate chips and using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. Immediately sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on the chocolate drizzle. The chocolate will set in 30 minutes.