Nothing says “Good Morning” like a warm, fresh out of the oven, chocolate chip muffin. This recipe is so easy, it can be made for the days when you don’t have a lot of time in the morning, but still want something baked, fluffy, and delicious. There is an optional sugar topping, which creates that crunchy coating you often see with muffins in coffee shops and bakeries.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
– 2 cups flour
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 3 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup milk
– 1/3 cup applesauce
– 1 egg
-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
– 2 tbs white sugar
– 2 tbs light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease or line the muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, and egg. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. (You’ll want to do this until the batter is well-combined, it will be lumpy, so don’t worry about smoothing it out).
3. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
4. Combine the white sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle on top of the muffins.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
1. This recipe is a reduced-fat version. You can always use vegetable oil in lieu of applesauce.
2. I strongly recommend using mini chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips, since these muffins aren’t that big to begin with, you’ll want to pack as many chocolate chips in there as possible! You can also increase the chocolate chips to 1 cup if you’d like.
3. I made a batch with both sugar topping and without. The ones without the sugar topping definitely got a nice brown to the top. It is really a personal preference. I personally like the look of the muffin with the sugar coating, but I prefer to eat the ones without!