I LOVE CRUMB BARS. They are one of those really easy desserts to make but looks a lot more decadent than brownies or cookies. The best part of crumb bars, in my opinion, is that the base and the crumble are THE EXACT SAME MIXTURE. Also, it’s the perfect excuse to get rid of any berries you have wilting away in the refrigerator.
I mean, just look at this ooey-gooey berry & crumb situation over here!
Very Berry Crumb Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 2/1 cups strawberries (chopped)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 Tb cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and unsalted butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in egg and pulse until combined. Take out around 1/3 of the mixture and set aside. Spread the remaining 2/3 of the mixture on the prepared baking pan and press down using the backside of a spoon.
- In a large bowl, toss together blueberries, strawberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, and granulated sugar. Spread the berries evenly over the shortbread mixture. Crumble the remaining 1/3 of the mixture on top. I like to squish some crumble in my hands to form larger chunks before sprinkling it on. It creates a more irregular crumble topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool before serving.